Doggy bags and take out containers are just par for the course in a restaurant. This means your dishes are so good, customers can’t help but want to take them home! Actually, take out and delivery can be a great source of income for the restaurant. However, you need to choose the right disposables to ensure that the food is still well-presented and safe for consumption when it arrives at the homes of your customers.
Here are some tips when choosing wholesale restaurant supplies such as take out disposables:
– Think sustainable. Restaurants should consciously do their share for the environment, rather than simply focusing on the dollars and cents of the business. Plastic wholesale disposables may be a bit cheaper than their sustainable counterparts, but “going green” and letting your customers know about it also has its own benefits, as people appreciate a business’ efforts to be more environmental friendly and will reward it with their support.
– Encourage re-usable and recyclable. As a “green” restaurant, encourage regular customers to bring their reusable containers and get premiums discounts. For instance, a coffee shop can give premium prices to those who bring their own coffee containers. There are also restaurants that give out points to those who take back take-out containers for recycling.
– Choose materials suitable to your take-out products. What products will you be offering for take-out? Will these include soups, pasta, salads, sandwiches or pizzas? For light food such as cake or sandwiches, you can choose lightweight takeout boxes or containers. However, you need to look for a heavy-duty alternative if you also allow heavier or denser food (i.e. pasta) for takeout. You can choose from a wide range of disposable materials, including plastic, Styrofoam, aluminum and bioplastics. It is important to consider how well your chosen material will stand up, resist bending, and minimize leaks and possible contamination. Other qualities you can consider, depending on the food that is to be taken out include insulating ability, water and cut resistance and durability.
– Think safety and convenience. Choose take out containers that can seal the food tightly so as to maintain the freshness and safety of the food. The materials themselves should be safe enough so that the containers themselves do not transmit any harmful substances that can leach into the food. Also, the containers themselves should be light, compact and easily stackable that taking them home is not an inconvenience for your customers.
– Select the design. The great thing about disposables is that they come in a wide range of sizes and designs. It all depends on what your restaurant needs. For instance, if you allow take-out for full entrees that feature different food items, you should consider a multi-compartment container. Rectangular containers with only one compartment can hold salads or pastas. When choosing the containers, look into how these close. Do they require a lid or do they come with a clamshell closure? If you are serving take-out coffee, be sure to choose a cup lid with safety features such as drink through holes and inner ring (to prevent the lid from popping off).
– Consider dispensers and storage space. To facilitate your take out operations, choose disposables that also have their own dispensers. Also, consider how these containers can be efficiently stockpiled in your storage area.